Thanks for helping us launch 51 miles & 51 weeks of play on the mighty LA River!
At the annual Frogtown Artwalk, we unveiled the free Play the LA River card deck, a game of urban exploration that presents 56 unique places to play on a river running through the heart of LA & 17 other cities! This public launch showcased performances, art, games, hands-on nature play & more. It also previewed the events you can look forward to, share in & plan yourself in the coming 51 weeks.
About Marsh Park
The brand-new extension of Marsh Park is in the Elysian Valley (aka Frogtown), along the Glendale Narrows stretch of soft-bottom river. A magical spot, this street-end stormwater park catches our runoff while it gives us the largest & most ambitious park so far on the Elysian Valley stretch.
- Lawn & board games galore! Connect four, bocce ball, bean bag toss, paper boat races, jumpin’ frogs, Scrabble & more
- Card games with giant Play the LA River card decks
- Typewriters’ Anonymous personalized odes, composed on the spot, & readings by the Poetry Society of Los Angeles
- Dance by Rebeca Hernández
- Plein-air painting with Cole James in collaboration with artworxLA
- “BIRD[th]ING” durational performance by Mariel Carranza
- Music curated by Downtown LA’s the wulf
- People’s Dance Community Class led by Marina Magalhães
- 20-ft Twister & race to the finish line with Wise Guys Events
- Bird guessing game & water filtration demo with Mountains Recreation & Conservation Authority (MRCA)
- Nature play! Spot river birds & bugs with Natural History Museum citizen scientists
- Play mapping the LA River
- Balloon mapping the Play the LA River launch
- River-framing photo booth
- Game-playing LA River experts on hand—including Joe Linton, MRCA, LA River Corp, City of LA River Project Office, California State Parks & Urban Waters Federal Partnership!